Thursday, June 12, 2008

Buk-han Mt

When I go home from school, I take a lane along the hill of Buk-han Mt. It is relatively steep on the way home but I almost always half-run because it is my habit to jog whenever I am alone. My wife and children know exactly what I mean. One day I was taking a walk home, a young man ran behind me and caught up to me and said, “sir, why do you walk so fast? I wanted to say “hello” to you but you were too fast for me.” I have never seen this young man before but he wanted to say hi to me. Wasn’t it nice?

On the other day, I watched television when a wise old man was being interviewed. The interviewer asked him to share his wisdom he might wish to leave with the young people. I expected him to say an advice using very difficult words and sophisticated philosophy but his answer was very simple – “be modest and work hard.” Then, it struck me; this is it. This represents Korea. Korea has been a peaceful country from the very beginning, about 6000 years old. It has never attacked other countries but always been attacked by others. They fought with their all might but never once went beyond to hurt others. But look at them now. They have grown quietly and steadily to become the 11th richest country in the world. I was so proud of this land and came to my office and jotted down my feelings. Attached is what I thought at that time:

http://hknkorea.blogspot.com/2008/06/solemn-bukhan-mountain.html

No comments: