Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Conversation with a Budding Flower

A conversation with a budding flower

The cold and long winter is fading away
Spring is smiling at joggers in the early morning
It was a typical day of Spring in Seoul
At the foot-hill of Buk-han Mt.
Around the corner of the hill
An old guy was startled by a gentle voice

“Hey, Grandpa,”
“What? Who are you calling?”
“You! There isn’t anyone else at this hour”
“Why Grandpa? What happened to the Uncle?”
“Haven’t looked at yourself in the mirror lately?
Those ugly wrinkles around your neck and all”
“So? I am still running everyday, aren’t I?”
“Yea, but you take an hour for only 30 min worth”
“I still take cold massage in the morning before running”
“That doesn’t count
You were kicked out of the job you dearly loved,…
That was the age thing, wasn’t it?”
“No, I volunteered and I could go forever.. you know”
“You can’t lie to me, you were tired and losing the touch”
“Hey, cut it out. I am strong and healthy like an ox”
“You used to fancy pretty girls, but now look at yourself…”
“Who said, I don’t”
“You used to drink “sakei” and felt OK, but
You don’t even try it any more”
“I never liked it. Friends used to force me
But I never got drunk”
“Hey, liar! Once in Rapid City and
A couple of times in Berkeley, its all on the record”
“Hey, easy on an old guy”
“It is always fun to pull your leg
I still like you and come back next week
When I will be more sexy”
“OK, I will rub you with my nose, do you like that?”
“I like that, and I almost forgot to tell you
Though you don’t get handsomer
You have become wiser…”

The old fellow then turned around
Kept running along the ridge of the Mountain
Feeling younger than ever
Thinking about the next week
With a smile on his face
No one else would know his secret…
Only a fresh Spring creeping on
Slowly, softly, gently, tenderly

Kenneth N. Han
Enjoying the bright morning
Of Spring in Seoul
End of March, 2008

No comments: