March 1, 2008
Dear My Special Friends,
This is my first letter to many of you since we have welcomed the year of pig, 2008. The first day of the new year was February 7 according to the Lunar Calendar, the day we arrived in Seoul. Pigs are supposed to bring you all wealth and happiness, and therefore, you should plan on how to use the money you will unexpectedly get this year. I heard that some mothers-in-law in Korea, who are the most powerful (some times mean) queens in their families make sure that their daughters-in-law have a baby born in the year of pig, and arrange their doctors just to plan ahead to ensure this happens not in the year of dogs (a year before) or rats (a year after). Whether you incline to go along with such superstition or not, we will extend our best wishes to you and your love ones in this exciting year of Pig!
Helen and I went back to Portland for the period of December 20-February 6 and spent a wonderful time with my family. It may be my first one-month long vacation during which I did not do practically anything related to my work. Was it fun? Surprisingly, I was able to manage it. As you may know, it rained almost every day during our stay in Portland and therefore, golfing was out of question. How did I manage that? …well, very poorly but it was OK too. I am too easy these days, huh?
Now, we are back and new things are waiting for me. First of all, I will teach this semester a brand new course, at least to me, which is quite different from what I used to teach. Technical Communications to our graduate students! Can you imagine, poor Ken teaches Tech Com in English? The table of content of the course I prepared is attached for your information. During my preparation, I realized that we should have taught something like this course at SDSMT a long time ago, and also realized through my literature search, that many US universities teach such courses to their graduate students. I also have a course on Nano-technology which I have no idea how to even begin but will manage I suppose.
The new Korean government emphasizes the importance of English and strongly encourages elementary and high schools to teach English more rigorously. If the country will keep the pace as the government suggests, ten years from now, you will hear that every course in the colleges will be taught in English. Some universities are planning to teach 70% of their courses in English by year 2010, but this could be a little optimistic in my view.
The weather? Of course, the weather! The mercury hit below zero on the day we arrived in Seoul, and all the water pipes were frozen. It was impossible to stay in an apartment when there was no water and hence no heat since the heating is provided by the water boiler. In addition, the next day was the beginning of a long week-end since Koreans celebrate the new day of the Lunar Calendar in a big way, and nothing was opened for a span of 4-days. We took the opportunity to take a vacation and went to a famous Hot Spring place, about 200 miles south of Seoul. I am pleased to say that the weather from now on will be only for the better, and in fact, Spring here is one of the best seasons. SeoKyeong University sits on a hill top and one has a magnificent view of the northern part of Seoul. Fortunately, the sun is up shining today but it only looks like a powerless, cold moon, a red dish through the thick fog, unlike the bright, warm, orange sun you are so lucky to enjoy in Rapid City!
It is rather late but we wish you all the best in this new year and please let us know any good news happening around you.
Sincerely, Ken
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment