Wednesday, May 23, 2007

End of Semester

Yes, the semester is over, almost over. Unlike the US system, our semester starts early March and ends mid June with the final exam, although my last class is scheduled for June 4. I think this is unfortunate since my summer break is rather shorter than I expected but I should not complain.

So, how has it been?

Honestly, I did not know what to expect when I touched down at the Incheon Airport nearly five months ago. I truly enjoyed teaching the freshmen Engineering course entitled, “Engineering-Theory and Practice” that I designed from scratch. I have never taught such a course and strongly recommend that everyone should teach a freshmen engineering course. It gives me a chance to review, reflect, and readjust what I have been teaching for sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduates in later years. It feels like I have lived all these years inside the house and have never paid attention to what it is like at the entrance of the house. Teaching freshmen gives me a new perspective and outlook on what I have been doing in relation to what I should have been doing in engineering. It gives me a question as to what it is that I really mean to be as an engineer at the outset of my career?

I have 92 students who are taking the course. Nearly half of them are genuine freshmen and the other half are juniors and seniors who take the course out of curiosity since it is offered in English and taught by a funny looking old man, I guess. Juniors and seniors are obviously doing very well in class but surprisingly, the very top two in the class are both freshmen.

During the semester, two offices for the Center and three additional research laboratories were completed and we were finally able to run a series of experiments. As a result, I was able to present two papers at a local conference and have just submitted a patent application. Yes, another patent but I hope this time the idea will be taken up by an industry and run with it.

I enjoy the spring smell early in the morning when I jog along the hill side, the best time for me. This is the time when my desire runs its wild course, a desire to grab and hold the time until I really enjoy, analyze, plan every second of it. Every second, God gave I should enjoy to the fullest possible way but I really don’t know how, and then time does not wait for me. I feel like I have wasted the most precious and never returning moment.

Yes, I am content with my life and the course of my life taking me. You are all the reasons for my happiness and I thank you for your friendship. Although we are thousands miles away, I treasure those times and moments together with you all. I will keep you informed with the progress of the rest of my life.

No comments: