Friday, March 16, 2012

A New Adventure at Oceanside



January 1, 2012
Dear Friends,
Over the Christmas break, our oldest daughter, Iris and her husband, John invited us to join to stay with them in a holiday vacation house, which they rented and is located in Oceanside Beach, a very lovely beach town along the Oregon Pacific Coast. Iris and John are a couple who love outdoor activities and their daughter, Lia who is 7 years old also loves outdoor activities. She shows curiosity and knows a lot more about ocean life: fish, birds, plants than her grandpa and grandma combined. We had a great time there.
On an evening when the tide was out, John suggested that we should go out to get some mussels and I was very happy to join them. I followed John and Lia hopping around the beach and along slippery rocks acting as if I was still in my early fifties and not in the middle of my seventies. An accident was waiting to happen to give me a memorable lesson. The attached poem was a result of my unwise adventure. I respectfully advise my friends in their old age that you should behave wisely and do not make the same mistake I made.
Wishing you all a very happy and healthy new year!
Sincerely, Ken

Limping along, an old man

I thought I was a 50 years old young man
But, no, I wasn’t
Along the out-going tide
I chased fresh mussels with excitement
On the slippery rocks harboring many
Following a young man in his forties
And his 7 year old daughter
Jumping, hopping, leaping
Just like a 50 years old young man
But, no, I wasn’t

Ah! I landed on a slippery slope
A simple wrong step
Sudden loss of balance
Excruciating pain alarmed my whole body
Finding its way to my ankle
Luckily it wasn’t broken
But, it was bad
Sprained was the result
It was too late
To realize I wasn’t 50 anymore
Shouldn’t act as if I was

Shaking, limping, wobbling,
I barely stood in one piece
Along the out-going tide
Recollecting the chase of fresh mussels
With a noble idea
Of providing the waiting family
 An appetizer of ocean flavors
At the dinner table
In an Oceanside resort house

On the top of the rugged rocks
Along the Pacific Ocean of the Oregon Coast
I admired the horizon at an eternal distance
Though the move was unwise
The scene of the receding tide was spectacular 
The tired sun was limping along
Between the layers of clouds
Retiring from a long day’s activity
Preparing for a long winter’s night rest
Quaking, limping, quietly wobbling

Kenneth N. Han
On a wintery day
At Oceanside Beach, Oregon
December 21, 2011



 



 


No comments: