Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Helen's 70th Birthday

December 2, 2009

My dear love Helen,

It began one day of 1960, when I was a senior at Seoul National University, and you were a sophomore at Ehwa Women’s University. I remember very well that we were both tutoring for the same family; I taught their boy, you their daughter. I was destined to meet you and fall in love with you at the first sight. I think that it was the best thing happened to me that I met you and fell in love. We dated for more than 6 years before you came to Berkeley to settle down with me and help me finish my desired degree at the University of California, Berkeley.

I believe that we had our best lives there in Berkeley, although we were poor, we were rich in love, spirit, and hope. Our happiness has been built around our children when they were born and growing up to give us mostly happiness, but occasional concerns and headaches, nevertheless our happiness was growing with their growing successes and occasional pains. When Iris was born, I was so happy to feel like a full person, a daddy! Men are not complete until they become a father, so I vaguely remember someone has said, but I believe it was perhaps the best philosophical description about a man. What is more important about having a baby of ones own is what the baby brings with her or him. We have been blessed with our marvelous three children, now six with their spouses, and six grandchildren. When I am tired and feel sad about the daily rat races that we have to endure sometimes, I always think about you and children, which makes me so happy, and I become settled down again to feel cozy and happy.

We were so happy to have Iris and Vincent born while in Berkeley and were extra happy when Alison was born in Melbourne. Speaking of Melbourne, it was so nice to get back there this spring to see the old place we raised our children. We buried a lot of fond memories there. Rapid City is certainly the place where our family had the bond solidified. Whenever children did well at school, we were very, very happy. My excuse for not taking you to various trips, which I frequently made in relation to my work was because of children and their education. I strongly believe that your efforts and dedication to look after the children has helped what they have become and what they are now. You have spent 100% of your time to look after the children and I thank you for that and owe you forever about those efforts.

Today is your special birthday, your 70th! In old days, we would be lucky to live up to 60 but now look at you; you have lived to 70 and still enjoy daily happiness with children and grandchildren and are planning for another 70.

On this very memorable occasion, I would like to thank you for being my wife and for what you have done for me and my children sacrificing your entire life. When children are growing up, you not only took care of children but also me, who could not survive a day without your care. On a cold day in Rapid City, you picked up children from their school and then came to my school to pick me up, and then cooked dinner for us all by yourself.

I remember very well that I used to be a nice guy who brought many Korean people home and asked you to cook them for dinner. What was really pitiful was that I got the credit for the favor you offered to those people but you did not even complained a bit. Now, I think back, I was really pitiful, wasn’t I? I still am, unfortunately and you are still the same person who works hard and offers me Vitamin C every morning concerning my health. I often take it even without saying a simple word, thank-you! Let me thank you a million times to pay back for all those days, and years in which I conveniently forgot to do so.

You are beautiful not only outside but especially inside. Your children are the proof of that. I am so lucky that you did not even try to threat to leave me when I was such a naughty person who had you work so hard without any help from me. But this is true that inside of me always felt thankful and did not say so outside.

As we get old, we still have time left for me to prove that I do have a little decency in me to pay back to you with love and care.

I have written a special poem on this exceptionally special occasion and here it is, just for you:
The Lady of My Life
My lady of the past 40 some years
No day existed I remember without her
Without her, I do not exist
My life is hers and hers is mine
This is the story of our lives
A couple of inseparable fate

I was 70 last year, now is her 70
We have lived 140 years together
Happy together for every year, every moment
Fond memories with three proud children
Three has doubled to six
They also have brought six more
And many more to come

Our happiness has doubled
Tripled, soon quadrupled, and forever
Claiming it’s all because of her
Her blessing is also mine
‘cause we share them all
Happiness is always within
Ours is not different but between
Creating within, sharing between

40 years ago, Seoul, the place
Where it began with a hope
And love, and togetherness
Berkeley was our first home
Melbourne, full of fond memories
Rapid City, the growing time
Portland, not retiring but restarting
Planning to extend our happiness
To children, grand-children

Dear my love
Now, I stand alone momentarily
To look at you away from you
You look beautiful with eternal grace
I lost myself without you
I return to the realm of your presence
To gain my nest with you
Promising to be with you forever, eternally
With contentment, comfort, happiness, coziness,
Since I belong to you forever


Kenneth N. Han
Celebrating Helen’s 70th Birthday
December 2, 2009
Helen Han’s 70th Birthday!
Ken and Children love you and Thank you
For all you have done for the family.












































































































































































No comments: