Sunday, November 15, 2009

Visit to Jeju Island in 2009

November 15, 2009

Dear Children,

Last week-end, we had a pleasant outing with Paul’s parents to enjoy fall colors here in Seoul, and this week-end we have been to Jeju Island, as I told you earlier. There, I delivered a plenary lecture to about 400 participants at the International Conference on Flexible and Printing Electronics. The title of my talk was “Future Trend in Nano-Inks,” which may tell you about my connection with this society.

After the talk, one gentleman approached to me and told me that he thought I was from the US because of my fluent English, meaning that he then knew me as a Korean. I just told him that thank you but I have lived there for about 45 years. Another man, a professor from a university in Seoul extended an invitation to me to come to their university and talk about how they (40-50 year old faculty) should prepare for their retirement. He meant that I look so healthy and am still active after my retirement and thought that they are expected to live up to 90s in the future, and to be prepared to remain healthy and active. I think that this is a problem in the modern society. Most of them have spent 30 years for study, and only 30 years for career, and 30 years for practically nothing but living! Therefore, if they are wise, they should prepare for their later years remaining active and hence healthy, because the last 30 years are as important as the first two of 30 years!

Unfortunately, while we were in Jeju Island, it rained and as a result, we did not go up to Hanra Mt., the tallest mountain in South Korea as planned. Instead, we went to ride a sub-marine and saw coral and thousands of fish at the bottom of the ocean, and also visited a glass kingdom, everything glass, an unusual, interesting scene. Mom bought crystal grapes and was very happy about it. When we were in Italy years ago, Mom wanted to buy glass grapes but I discouraged her to do so. This time, I could not object to it since she told me that this was her 70th birthday present for herself.

Time has gone by quickly and we will be heading for home on Nov. 27. We thank you all for your love and keeping us informed with your daily activities there. A special thanks to Iris and John for looking after our house in their busy schedule. We love you all and look forward to seeing you soon. Love Dad.




















No comments: