Time indeed flies like an arrow and time lost never comes back. The phrase I have known for long but rarely used is coming around to remind me that it is still here and true. It seems like yesterday when I came back to my motherland but it has been nearly a year since I retired from SDSMT and decided to come here to spend a few years left on me. The other day I thought that if I knew when it would be my final day, I would have spent my days more carefully and effectively. Unfortunately or fortunately, I don’t know and as a result, I have wasted the most valuable moments without notable accomplishments nor enjoyed the moments as fully as I could.
But I have no regret to come back even though it will be a short time compared to the time I had spent elsewhere. After spending nearly a year, I have found that I cannot really be of help to this place notably since there are so many good and able people who do well and don’t need my help. Coming back has just given inside of me the satisfaction in that I have tried in my little and humble way. One very positive thing I have gained out of the process is that the year has given me the opportunity to renew my old acquaintances with my good old friends I had but nearly ignored over the years, and also to offer me new and worthy friendship that is invaluable.
How do I have spent the past year? I have been doing what I always do. I work sincerely and very hard not for any tangible rewards emphasizing that it is the way any professionals should and would do. I honestly believe that hard work, sincerity, and honesty represent satisfaction and happiness, which is the best reward anyone can honestly expect. My children may smile and say that “Dad, we know, we know!” – the lecture I have repeatedly given them over the years.
There is no golfing in my life since I came to this country but I do go to the practice range and hit some balls and sweat with sense of satisfaction. Last Saturday, I hit 420 balls in 70 min and felt good about the exercise. We also went south for fall colors. The autumn colors here are so pretty just like what you see in New England in the US . I like fall colors with a touch of red in them. I like two seasons most. The best of all is fall when I enjoy magnificent colors symbolizing the beauty of nature, and the other is spring when beautiful flowers refresh the air with delightfully delicious smell. Korea offers excellent fall and spring which we enjoy tremendously. Those who want to come to Korea , please take either May or October and keep in mind the beauty of colors and wonderful scent and avoid big cities.
Now, the fall is going and another chapter of my earthly life will be closed soon and the cold winter will come around and awake me to the reality. The heating system here is not the best and therefore, we may take off early and will spend the worst of it in Portland , OR where we have to struggle with rain. Doesn’t it sound like no matter what I do, I am always a looser?
Upon winding down my first year in Korea , I reminisce about the old and fond memories with you all and letting you know how my year has been, and what my current status of mind is. I miss you all.
Sunday, November 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment